Beginning in September 2021, Toxic-Free Future’s Mind the Store program launched a national campaign calling on REI to phase out and ban PFAS in all private-label and brand-name products it sells.
From jackets to boots, outdoor gear sold at REI and other retailers contains toxic chemicals called PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances). And the production, use, and disposal of these products pollute people and the planet. A growing body of scientific research has found links between exposures to PFAS and a wide range of health problems including cancer, a weaker immune system, and increased cholesterol.
REI has the power to lead the outdoor apparel industry in a bold phase-out of PFAS from products. Join us and tell REI to stop polluting people, wildlife, and the planet for outdoor gear!
Tell REI: Stop Leaving a Toxic Trail of Pollution
- Our letters to REI:
- Our factsheet (printer-friendly version)
- Our original study found PFAS in REI products (Press Release), January 26, 2022
- Our blogs:
- Our REI campaign launch: from Mind the Store’s director and Toxic-Free Future’s executive director, November 3, 2021
- Our letter to REI from 100+ organizations, December 8, 2021
- 60,000+ REI customers have signed on to tell REI to end the toxic trail of PFAS pollution, January 12, 2022
- 110,000 REI customers demand action on PFAS, April 15, 2022
- REI members speak out: it’s time for toxic PFAS to take a hike!, May 11, 2022
- Our press statement in response to REI getting an ‘F’ in a national scorecard ranking PFAS commitments, April 6, 2022
- Our press statement in response to REI failing to commit to phasing out PFAS at its annual member meeting, May 17, 2022