How Everyday Products Are Polluting Puget Sound
A Study by WTC and People for Puget Sound
It is well known that toxic chemicals pose a major threat to the health of Puget Sound. For many chemicals, however, how they are getting from the products in our homes to the waters, sediments, and wildlife of the Sound remains mysterious.
Our new study, Puget Sound Down the Drain, helped solve part of the mystery by finding that the same toxic chemicals polluting our homes from consumer products are polluting Puget Sound as well. Our research found that chemicals are escaping consumer products in our homes, contaminating house dust, hitchhiking on our clothing, and entering Puget Sound via washing machine rinse water and wastewater treatment plants.
Press Clippings about the Report Release:
- Tacoma News Tribune – http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/898296.html
- Seattle PostGlobe – http://www.seattlepostglobe.org/2009/09/29/puget-sound-down-the-drain
- My Northwest – http://www.mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=218909
- KING 5 – http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_092909ENVB-toxic-chemicals-KS.1cb45b72f.html
- The Olympian – http://www.theolympian.com/environment/story/987516.html